Paying for care at home

Whether you have to pay for Care at Home depends on the type of support you need and your financial circumstances.


Free personal and nursing care at home

The Community Care and Health (Scotland) Act 2002 states that local authorities are not permitted to charge for personal care or personal support where a person has been assessed by the local authority as needing it, regardless of their age, condition, capital or income.


Nursing care is free to anyone assessed as needing it. In the community this is usually delivered by a District Nurse.


Personal care can include support with:

  • personal hygiene
  • general wellbeing – eg getting in and out of bed
  • simple medical treatments
  • preparation of food and diet

The Scottish Government provides guidance on what is considered free personal and nursing care.


Aberdeenshire Council has eligibility criteria for support. This is based around giving priority to those who are at the greatest risk of harm.


Chargeable care and support at home

The amount you are expected to pay for care and support at home, which isn’t free personal care, depends on your financial circumstances.  A financial assessment is done to decide what you may need to contribute.


View Aberdeenshire Council’s charging policy. The policy also applies to tenants of Sheltered and Very Sheltered Housing.


Care at home includes:

  • social activity or support either at home or in the community
  • domestic support
  • shopping for or with someone
  • providing food



Back to home page