Entitlement to benefits

If you are diagnosed with dementia you may be entitled to benefits. If someone is caring for you they may also be entitled to some benefits. In all cases these would need to be applied for.


The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) provides general information on the benefits available and how to apply for them. You can also call the benefits enquiry line: 0800 88 22 00.


Guidance on applying for benefits is part of Post Diagnostic Support.


Support organisations who can help with benefits applications

Citizens Advice Bureau

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) – National advice service giving free, confidential information and advice to help people with money, legal, consumer and other problems.


Telephone: 0808 800 9060


Local CAB offices:


Gordon Rural Action

Gordon Rural Action – A local registered charity that provides free, confidential, impartial and independent advice on benefits, debt, housing, employment and consumer problems.


Alzheimer Scotland Dementia Advisors

The Alzheimer Scotland Dementia Advisors can also provide information and advice on benefit applications.



Back to home page